Dan Schlaack
Coldwell Banker Anchor Realty

Autism Housing Resources

My wife and I have an adult son on the autism spectrum. His name is Henry. Like so many families with loved ones with intellectual and/or physical disabilities, the transition from student to adult is often a daunting, emotional task. In my continued effort to raise awareness of autism spectrum disorders and funds for autism research and services, I wanted to be sure to include a section on my website that had a specific focus on the housing needs of individuals like my son.   

Those with loved ones on the spectrum need to communicate, advocate, and be there to support each other.  Those relationships become resources, and our family needed plenty of resources on our journey. We still do!

Do Not Hesitate to contact me if you have any questions, regardless of whether or not you have a housing/real estate need. I'm always available as a resource.  My cell phone is 773-398-1950 (Illinois) or 269-308-9111 (Michigan).  My personal email is dschlaack@gmail.com  


Moving out of the family home is one of the biggest decisions in a person’s life. For a person on the autism spectrum, finding and securing a house and caregiver supports can be complicated for you and your family.  This page will provide some information and resources compiled by Autism Speaks that could help in the process. 

This information and much more is available through the Autism Speaks website at the link below: https://www.autismspeaks.org/housing-and-community-living

Autism Speaks can make this planning easier through tools and resources to guide you through the process. This Housing and Community Living section contains information you need to help you search for housing options and keep you informed. As a first step, download our Housing & Residential Supports Tool Kit to help you begin your journey. It's fills with lots of great information.  

Questions to ask

Start with making some basic decisions on where you want to live, what type of house, what supports you will need. Below are considerations when deciding on a home and community to live in:

What type of neighborhood do I want to live?

  • Suburban 
  • Urban (city area)
  • Rural (houses spread far apart)
  • Farmstead

What type of house do I want to live in?

  • Single Family Home
  • Planned Community
  • Townhouse
  • Apartment with a common space for residents
  • Multi-family attached house
  • Assisted Living Facility

What level of support will I need to live in the community?

  • 24 hours per day
  • Supports throughout the day
  • Supports a few hours per day
  • Support a few hours per week
  • Minimal support (I am independent)

Other issues to consider 

  • Health services coordination and medication administration
  • Behavioral and mental health support
  • Respite for caregivers
  • Career support
  • Community integration
  • ICF/IDD services
  • Social opportunities
  • Money management
  • Support at home
  • Family support

Funding your physical home and paying for the supports you need are usually separate parts of this process. 

You’ll need to decide how you will pay for the residence, who will manage the property, who will pay the utilities, and who will contact the service providers for help.

For the actual physical house, you will need to consider the public and private funding options that can reviewed here.

For service supports, you will need to consider applying for public funding – through Social Security and Medicaid – and/or private pay options. Find the service providers in your state.

Community-Based Skills Assessment (CSA)

The transition out of school-based services for students with autism can be difficult. There is no “one size fits all” plan for the path to adulthood.

The most important factor in creating a plan is to focus on the individual. His or her strengths, needs, challenges and preferences will be vital to a successful transition process.

The CSA helps parents and professionals assess the current skill levels and abilities of students with autism beginning at age 12. The results will help you develop a unique and comprehensive plan. Eight areas of functional life skills are assessed, including home living skills. 

Explore the CSA.

Housing and residential support options for adults

All parents worry about their children’s future, but for the 19% of people with disabilities, that parental concern is even greater – especially when it comes to financial planning and the transition to adulthood. More than 300 people traveled from five different states to attend the first Special Needs Conference at the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center in National Harbor, MD.

The morning was dedicated to special needs financial planning and was funded through a partnership with the SunTrust Foundation as part of a regional series of workshops dedicated to “Lighting the Way to Financial Well-Being” through education and resources.  

See the session below about housing and residential support options, delivered by Angela Lello, Senior Director of Public Policy for Autism Speaks:

Additional Housing Resources

The Corporation for Supportive Housing (CSH) 
CSH is a national non-profit organization that helps communities create permanent housing with services to prevent and end homelessness.

Creative Housing Solutions LLC 
Creative Housing Solutions provides consulting, technical support, planning and ownership advice, architectural support services, and education in support of the design of environments that support people with varying abilities, interests and lifestyles.

National Association of Residential Providers for Adults with Autism (NARPAA) 
NARPAA is an organization that works to assure the availability of residential services and other supports for adults with autism throughout their lives.

Hello Housing 
Hello Housing helps develop affordable housing for underserved communities. By bringing together a unique mix of partners and resources, they seek to create meaningful solutions.

A National Review of Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) for Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders 
This Policy Research Brief summarizes the results of a national study on the status of Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) for persons with autism spectrum disorders (ASD). Published by the Research and Training Center on Community Living, Institute on Community Integration at the College of Education and Human Development, University of Minnesota.

Independent Living Research Utilization 
ILRU Directory of Centers for Independent Living and Statewide Independent Living Councils.

Social Serve is a nonprofit dedicated to helping people access affordable housing and supportive services.

ARCH – Federal Funding and Support Opportunities for Respite 
This guide provides basic information about each of the federal programs that can provide respite funding or support.

Legal Guidelines, prepared for Autism Speaks by Goodwin Procter, LLP

Section 8 Made Simple – Special Edition: Using the Housing Choice Voucher Program to End Chronic Homelessness 
Offers step-by-step guidance on finding and securing housing through the HCV program.

Disability Services in Illinois

Allison Stark - Director
Division of Developmental Disabilities
Department of Human Services
Iles Park Complex
600 East Ash, Building 400, Mail Stop 1 South
Springfield, IL 62703

Michigan Developmental Disabilities Council

Mailing Address: Lewis Cass Building, Garden Level, 320 S. Walnut Street, Lansing, MI 48933
Phone - (517) 335-3158
Fax - (517) 335-2751
TDD - (517) 335-3171
Email address: mdhhs-dd-council@michigan.gov